- Running is getting easier. Did 9k around Crystal Palace this morning with a friends and it felt relatively ‘easy’. Good job too as I’ve been using the new Ooni pizza oven quite a lot!
- The Ooni has been a lot of fun. About to use it for the third time tonight. I’m still experimenting with getting the right temperature etc, but it’s pretty easy to unpack, set up and get going and the results are delicious.
- Played board games again on Thursday night. Played Planet Nine (Space Whist) again (more successfully this time) and also Wingspan again, which is getting more fun the more we play it and we have to think less about the rules and more about the strategy.
- Watched Des – the Dennis Nielsen series starring David Tennant. Not always a fan of his, but he was creepily brilliant in this and I knew very little of the story as I was only a toddler when it was all happening.
- Also watched the 1969 film Machine Gun McCain, which was on the brilliant Talking Pictures TV last week. It’s an ok film, but the fascination comes from watching John Cassavetes and Peter Falk in their first project together. Also there’s Britt Eckland and a Morricone score and a Vegas casino heist scene Great stuff. There’s a nice article about the film over on Criterion if you’re interested.
- Oliver Burkeman wrote his last column for the Guardian this week. Some good nuggets in there. For example:
More often than not, by doing your thing – as opposed to what you think you ought to be doing – you kindle a fire that helps keep the rest of us warm.
- For music this week, how about some spiritual jazz?